Sunday, May 29, 2011

Social Network, Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook--Random Thoughts

 "Social Network, Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook--Random Thoughts"
Darrel L. Hammon

Joanne and I finally were able to see the movie Social Network, the movie about Facebook and Mark Zuckerberg. I had heard much about it from others, including my daughters. Of course, we seldom see first-run movies at the theater. I am against paying full price for a movie. Now, a matinee now and then is a different story. Usually, though, we wait until the movie plays at the local "dollar" movie theater although it is now $3.00. Finally, Redbox has the answer for all of us: fairly new movies for a mere $1.00. Thanks, Redbox!

I think what intrigued me most about the Social Network was the story behind Facebook and how it has become truly a social network. Mark Zuckerberg is truly a genius! For the most part, Joanne and I are recent additions to Facebook. Thanks to our daughters who are amazing computer women, we are now on Facebook. Even Joanne's 86-year-old mother is on Facebook. Why? To connect with our family and friends.

For example, in early 2010 when Chile experienced a terrible earthquake and subsequent tremors, the only way I could connect with my friends in Chile was through Facebook. Ironically, when phone systems were down, including cell phones, the internet  was up and running; thus, Facebook was up and running, and we were kept updated with comments and photos. Thanks, Facebook.

I have to admit, though, I felt very sorry for Eduardo in the movie. Now, how close Social Network was to the truth is not the issue. How they portrayed Eduardo in the movie was sad. He seemed like a nice young man with a good heart who wanted to help. He is one of those young men I would like to chat with. Plus, don't you want to know what his settlement was ultimately? I suspect Eduardo does not have to work again. Plus, his name is labeled "co-founder" of Facebook. That, in and of itself, is pretty cool to me. Of course, I wonder how many times Eduardo has had to tell his story--or at least the part he can tell.

Now, as a former college president, I was a bit overwhelmed by the way Social Network portrayed the president of Harvard, Larry Summers. I have to remember that he was the Secretary of Treasury, right? At least, that what he said. He seemed like an overbearing king of hill who had no interest in students or student problems. I suspect very few college presidents are this distant from their students. At least the presidents I know are highly engaged in student activities. 

Now, back to Zuckerberg. I think I would enjoy meeting Mark and chatting with him. If the movie portrayed him even 80% correct, Mr. Zuckerberg is a highly intelligent young man who desperately could use some social skills upgrade. Perhaps, he has captured a few of these. Then, again, if indeed Social Network portrayed him even at 80%, the audience felt some sense that he was changing when he kept refreshing his Facebook page in order to see if his added friend would accept his friendship. My only hope is that Mark Zuckerberg received the "you are friends now" sign.

This is not a movie review of Social Network or an analysis of Mark Zuckerberg. Rather, these are my thoughts--random as they might be--on the movie and a small thank you to Facebook for allowing me to be friends with people on various continents and in my hometown of Menan, Idaho, so I can keep up with what they are all doing.

Mr. Zuckerberg, if you ever want to chat, please let me know.  Perhaps, we could chat about how you feel they portrayed you in Social Network or, perhaps even better, your feelings about Yellowstone Park and Glacier National Park, two of my favorite national parks.

1 comment:

Caught in the Web said...

Dad, he actually just came to BYU a few months ago. The Marriott Center at BYU was PACKED with people. Guess what he wore to BYU's campus to speak to over 30,000 students? ... A hoodie. Can you believe that? Some of the SEO guys from my work actually got to go. I was disappointed that I was not able to. They said it was good, though.